The Trump administration is doubling the bounty on two al Qaeda leaders charged in connection with the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Africa.
The State Department announced on Wednesday, a day after the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks, that its Rewards for Justice Program is now offering $10 million for information leading to the location, arrest or conviction Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah or Sayf al-Adl.
“Both individuals served as members of al-Qaida’s leadership council, and al-Adl also served on the group’s military committee,” the State Department said in a statement.
The previous reward, first announced in December 2000, was $5 million for each individual.
Abdullah and al-Adl were charged by a federal grand jury in November 1998 for their role in the Aug. 7, 1998, bombings of the U.S. embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya.
The attacks killed more than 250 people, including 12 Americans, and injured almost 5,000 others. The bombings were the first major al Qaeda attacks on U.S. targets.
“We will never forget the legacy of those who perished, nor the courage, bravery and valor of all who survived,” Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoNorth Korea rejects repeated US proposal to slash nuclear arsenal: report US doubles reward for info on al Qaeda leaders in 1998 embassy attacks To counter China, US could learn from Beijing’s successes in Asia MORE said in a statement Tuesday to mark the anniversary of the bombings. “Today also reminds us that we must continue to be vigilant to prevent further attacks. We must honor the memory of those we mourn today by pressing the cause of freedom and justice.”
Both Abdullah and al-Adl were reportedly arrested by Iran but released in 2015 during a prisoner swap for an Iranian diplomat who had been kidnapped in Yemen.