School's back in session in St. Charles Parish with temperature checks, face masks and social distancing

Almost five months after schools across the state were shuttered due to the coronavirus pandemic, students in St. Charles Parish returned to classrooms Thursday morning, the first public school district in the New Orleans area to resume in-person instruction.

About 7,500 students, 80% of the children enrolled in the district, are expected to come back to campuses, St. Charles Parish schools Superintendent Ken Oertling said. The other 20% opted for at-home...