The interior ministry announced Thursday security forces clashed with terrorists apparently with links with May attack against Coptic Christians killed while traveling to a monastery in the south of the country, reports say.
Three jihadists and a security forces were killed in the shootout which occurred Tuesday in the southern province of Qena.
The shootout occurred after a suspected jihadist, who had previously been detained, guided police to an alleged hideout in Qena, the ministry said in a statement, AFP reports.
“As soon as the security forces reached the location, the terrorist elements suddenly opened fire using all types of weapons, which forced them to retaliate,” it said.
Police found at the hideout weapons and “gold jewellery which was probably stolen from some of the Christian victims” of a previous attack, the ministry said.
Masked gunmen halted in May a convoy of Coptic Christians traveling to Saint Samuel monastery in Minya province south of Cairo. They killed 29 people and wounded several others. They also stole jewellery.
Over 100 Coptic Christians have been killed since December in several terrorist attacks claimed by the Islamic State group (IS). 45 were killed in April in two separate attacks against churches. In December a suicide bomber blew himself up killing 29 in attack against a church in capital Cairo.